Hello world! Please change me in Site Preferences -> This Category/Section -> Lower Description Bar


Apr 2012

Before bankruptcy: Replacing your lost social security card

Posted by / in Virginia Bankruptcy / 4 comments

<h2>Before bankruptcy:  Replacing your lost social security card</h2>

At your bankruptcy hearing, you are supposed to show your bankruptcy trustee a picture ID and evidence of your social security number.  The best way to prove your social security number is with your social security card.  However, a W-2 will also work.  (At the bankruptcy court here in Alexandria, VA, your own tax form is usually not good enough.)

For self employed people, there may be no W-2.  So what to do?

Being self employed myself–and having lost my own social security card ten or more years ago–I decided to see how hard it is to go to the social security office and get them to send me a new card.  (Since I’m near age 65, I thought a probably should do something about it, anyway.)

I hadn’t seen my social security card in ten years. So I went to their office and got a new one.

It wasn’t too bad.    I went to the social security office in Manassas, a few blocks from the Prince William Court House.  The whole process took an hour and twenty minutes.  Wait in line, fill in a form, wait some more, show my driver’s license to somebody, who put info into a computer and had a new card mailed to me.  (They will also give you a letter on the spot, saying what your social security number is.)

To fill in the form, I needed to know what my social security number is, know my parents names and know where I was born.  (The form asks for my parents social security numbers, but not having them wasn’t a problem–there was a box to check unknown.)  And of course I needed my Virginia driver’s license.  A passport would also work.

Besides Manassas, they also have offices in Alexandria, Arlington and Fredericksburg.

You can also apply by mailing to your nearest social security office.  But that doesn’t work very well.  Why?  You need to mail your ORIGINAL picture id.  I don’t recommend mailing your driver’s license to social security and driving around without it for a month until they get back to you.  If you have a passport and you aren’t going anywhere, you could mail that.

At least once a month, we have bankruptcy clients who only figure out at the last minute that they don’t have their social security card.  As I said, a W-2 or a 1099 will also work.  But in this security conscious time we are living in, probably getting a replacement social security card issued before bankruptcy is a good idea.







Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

We like you too :)

Thanks for connecting with Robert Weed. We look forward to sharing valuable information with you.

Robert Weed has helped twelve thousand people file bankruptcy in Northern Virginia. Robert Weed is a frequent panelist and speaker at the meetings of the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys. He is one of Northern Virginia’s most experienced personal bankruptcy lawyers. As an expert on changing consumer bankruptcy laws, Robert Weed has been interviewed on local and national TV and quoted in newspapers across the country.

  • Robert Weed

    April 14, 2012, pm30 2:16 PM

    PS I went to the Social Security Office on Tuesday–the new card came in the mail on Saturday.

  • Kathrin

    June 8, 2012, am30 8:41 AM

    Hello, great read on that one about Socialsecuritycard. Nice blog. Keep up posting! Cheers, Kathrin.

    • Robert Weed

      June 8, 2012, am30 8:55 AM


      Thank you.

  • Robert Weed

    Robert Weed

    March 13, 2014, pm31 5:45 PM


    Effective August 1, 2014, the Social Security Administration will no longer help people replace a lost card at their local offices. You have to apply on line.
    “To protect the integrity of the Social Security number and prevent fraud, we will discontinue providing Social Security number printouts effective August 1, 2014. If you need proof of your Social Security number and you do not have your Social Security card, you will need to request a replacement Social Security card by completing the Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5) and providing the required documentation.

    Also, effective October 1, 2014, Social Security will stop providing benefit verification letters in our offices. You will still be able to get an instant letter online with a personal my Social Security account or you may call us toll-free to request a letter by mail.”


    Comments & Questions

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *